Thursday, June 12, 2008

Dash and radio...


It's been a couple of days since I stopped in to see the progress; work and play got in the way. On Tuesday I spent the entire day at Mosport International Raceway running my Porsche on the track. It was a private trackday organized by a friend of mine for a group of Porsche enthusiasts from rennlist.com. I had every intention of stopping by on my way home from the track, but after logging more than 300 kms of track time, I was pretty exhausted. I highly recommend to anyone with a modicum of automotive fever to sign up for some track days at some point in your life. I've done several now, and I learn more and more every time out. If you're reading this site, you've got gasoline in your veins and owe it to yourself to have fun with your car away from the ridiculously crowded and slow public roads.

But I digress...back to the build project.
The dashboard is in!! It makes the car looks so finished now. Frank powered up the new stereo for me to hear and to notice that the front speakers are toast now too. They've died of old age...the rubber ring that holds the paper cones have quite literally turned to dust. Oh well, back to BestBuy.
He also went through the operation of the alarm system and remote keyless entry system. A very cool feature is that the dome light will glow when you unlock the doors now and once you open them, the light goes full on. Pretty fancy for an'82-'87 VW!
You probably see the fire extinguisher on the floor there. Well, "white" had this extinguisher mounted in the trunk before...completely useless location. If your car is on fire, I don't think you want to be spending lots of time getting it out of the trunk; it's got to be within reach of the driver. Frank found the perfect place on the hump behind the e-brake. Looks cool too. In my Porsche, I have one installed permanently on the front of the passenger seat. It's a Porsche Club of America requirement for the track, but I also like knowing it's there in case of emergencies on the road.
We hit a bit of a snag with the re-installation of the seats. The seat slider locking mechanism changed sides between '82 and '87 because the latter cars had a seat cushion tilt feature. So, George is going to have to re-skin the seat bottoms again! Well, it will feel like an upgrade with the new tilt/height feature on "red".
Air horns are installed, fog lamps are wired and working and the rest of the fender flares are on. A few more days and the car will be back at the bodyshop where Laki can work his magic on the finish.

No comments: